There has always been some confusion about the difference between Mary, Queen of Scots, and Bloody Mary, so I thought I’d clear it up.
*Mary, Queen of Scots was Mary Stuart, the daughter of King James V of Scots, she was born in 1542 and became queen when she was one week old. She was married to Prince Francis, the son of King Henry II of France, in 1558. She also married many other dudes after each one died, and had a son, James VI. She was beheaded by Queen Elizabeth I of England in 1587.
*Bloody Mary, was Mary Tudor, Queen Elizabeth’s half sister, the daughter of Henry VIII and his first wife Catherine of Aragon. She became queen in 1553 and married Phillip II, king of Spain. She died childless in 1558 at the age of 43. Elizabeth I succeeded her and when she died in 1603, Mary Stuart’s son, James VI became king of England and ruled from 1603 to 1625.
*So, as you can see, Mary Stuart/Mary Queen of Scots, and Mary Tudor/Bloody Mary are two totally different people. I have always gotten them confused, so it was very helpful for me to get them straightened out.
I find this era of history in England, Spain, France, and Germany to be utterly fascinating, so if I write more on all those countries, bear with me!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I find them utterly fascinating as well! And thanks for clearing that up! I read a book once about Mary, Queen of Scots and I could never like the character because I thought she was Bloody Mary.
very nice.
Post a Comment